We are happy to report that despite the economy, there are some very
lucrative in-house SEO positions. Here is one position that would lure even the
most happy in-houser.
What makes it so great: It’s one of the biggest SEO budgets we’ve seen in years, and you’ll manage it all. You’ll have a staff at your disposal to help you execute the tasks as you guide the strategy and keep things moving forward. It’s not a political corporate environment, the focus will be more on a strategic approach for what to do, and making it happen. Lastly, it’s a very competitive salary, I’m not allowed disclose the numbers, but it could even excite some west coasters to move to the DC area.
What you need to have to get the job:
- Savviness to get things done, to get people to get things done.
- SEO for enterprise level e-commerce experience.
- Experience with SEO for enterprise-level sites.
- Advanced SEO skills set – both tech savvy to go head-to-head with IT, and strategy to integrate smoothly with marketing.
- Ability to influence others to get things done. It’s not that you won’t have buy-in, but you still need to get people to get the job done.
- Ability to create the big picture, and guide your team and the rest of the company to execute the details.
- Demonstrable success leading SEO efforts for an Internet Retail 100 company, either as an in-house resource or consultant preferred.
Director of SEO
Salary: Very Competitive, Relocation & Bonus negotiable
About the Company
We are a retail e-commerce company doing quite well with SEO for the top 500 terms and are ready for someone to take our in-house SEO/SEM program to the next level. We are located northwest of DC, and are an independently run subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar private company.
The current situation
The top competitor in our industry has 500 of the top traffic and revenue-generating key phrases on page one of Google and 150 of those are ranked #1. That’s the type of results you’ll need to be capable of reaching.
There is currently a team of people who execute SEO (mostly link building), and the prior SEO/SEM left in December 2009.
The Ideal Candidate in Summary
The Director of SEO will define, oversee and participate in the implementation of a cutting edge SEO strategy that leverages creative solutions to implement SEO on a large enterprise-level website. You will need to work closely with programmers, writers, existing SEO staff and other roles to implement the program. You must be a strong team player who thinks outside the box, exudes strong leadership skills, can influence others and has the knowledge, reputation, communication and political skills to be a top SEO/SEM leader.
Important: You preferably have demonstrable success leading SEO efforts for an Internet Retail 100 company, either as an in-house resource or consultant.
- Set the SEO strategy and take ownership of its execution - overseeing and participating in its implementation/completion.
- Own and be held accountable for the SEO P&L.
- Own and manage all 3rd party relationships associated with the SEO program.
- Work with IT, marketing and other divisions to get them to do SEO activities.
- Mentor the team on SEO and professional development.
- Serve as the in-house SEO expert, especially when it comes to technical solutions and link building.
- Clear understanding of how to handle enterprise-level e-commerce SEO
- Experience setting the search marketing strategy and managing its execution.
- Minimum 4-6 years related experience preferably in a large ecommerce organization or SEO agency.
- Exceptional quantitative and analytical skills to analyze large quantities of data and discern how to improve/modify the strategy based on analysis.
- Proficiency in paid and free SEO tools, in particular tools that scale for an enterprise-level website.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs particularly Excel (pivot tables, vlookup, etc.) and Power Point
- Strong link building skills to manage the link building program, and jump in when needed to acquire the more lucrative links.
- Extremely detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and fast learner
- Highly flexible and the ability to move fast in a casual environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The tenacity to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done and see it through to completion.
- The ideal candidate will have transitioned from a Development role into SEO/SEM