Title: Sr. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Manager, Media Properties
Demand Media is looking for a smart, driven, hands-on Senior SEO Manager of Media Properties to join our Search Engine Optimization team in Santa Monica.
Highlights: Part of an existing SEO team, very large scale
Properties: Answerbag.com, ehow.com, cracked.com and more
Senior Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Manager – Media Properties
This Senior Search Engine Optimization Specialist will have a proven track record of SEO success working with large, dynamic media websites. He or she will demonstrate an advanced understanding of SEO tactics, the search engines industry, search engine algorithms and ranking factors, and a forward-looking approach to the future of SEO and the search industry as a whole. He or she will go beyond basics in every assignment. He or she will further the SEO Culture at Demand Media through steady communication of SEO best practices at all levels of the organization.
This Senior SEO specialist will lead the SEO work for all media properties run out of our Santa Monica office. Some of those media properties being: eHow.com, Cracked.com, Airliners.net, GreenCar.TV, Answerbag.com, plus many more.
Senior SEO Manager will be assigned to several marquee Demand Media web
properties and responsible for their top-to-bottom SEO including: site
redesigns, site structure and page construction, site features, content, keywords,
sitemaps, inbound link generation, ranking and referral reports, site audits
and more. In addition, the Senior SEO Manager will work closely with the team's
SEO Managers to mentor them in the ways of organic search tactics, advise them
on SEO practices, and assist them in their SEO efforts on the sites to which
they are assigned.
Demand Media is a start-up backed with over $320mm in capital from top tier investors. We work in a fast paced, results oriented environment. Our goal is to launch the next generation of media companies.
SEO for Potential Acquisitions
- Lead SEO for all potential media acquisitions being targeted by the M&A team: Assessing SEO health of potential acquisitions and estimating growth opportunities
SEO & Consumer Products
- Conducting thorough, initial site audits for newly acquired sites, generating and implementing SEO enhancements with a focus on "quick wins," followed by long term strategies
- Ongoing SEO assessments of and recommendations for Demand Media media sites
- Generating Product Requirements Documents and wire frames for SEO product enhancements
- Contributing SEO expertise to product plans including site redesigns, product enhancements, and new site features by contributing to other Product Managers’ Requirements Documents
- Troubleshooting SEO problems
- Ensuring high-quality SEO for user-generated content via: user outreach efforts (with marketing teams), and the UGC submission tools in conjunction (with product development teams)
Search Engine Optimization Strategies
- Staying on top of current search engine news, trends, SEO practices, and emerging items of interest and sharing these with the rest of the team, GMs, developers, etc.
- Developing and executing on inbound linking strategies
- Ongoing keyword research, analysis, recommendations and execution
- Predicting up-and-coming search queries before demand arrives, and recommending content to properties accordingly
- Monitoring competitor sites and the general marketplace and ensuring that Demand Media sites maintain competitive advantages in SEO
SEO & Reporting
- Reporting on the SEO of assigned properties including regular incremental reports plus analysis of specific SEO or product changes, enhancements or initiatives
- Reporting on the overall SEO health of Demand Media’s web properties and rolling up SEO reports in a meaningful way for executive management
- Writing keyword rich, on-site copy
- Working with editorial and marketing teams to drive SEO in content creation and content programming
- 4 to 7 years of significant SEO experience working with online media sites, social networking and/or community sites. At least 2 of those years spent in a more senior role or in a management capacity
- Extensive understanding of the search engine industry, industry standards, best practices, search engine algorithms and ranking strategies. And the ability to communicate these items to ones colleagues and executive management teams
- Proven ability to build an SEO culture within the workplace; ability to lead a team
- Proven ability to optimize for organic search on the major search engines: Google, Yahoo, MSN/Live and ASK
- Proven SEO success including link building, link baiting, ranking for targeted keywords, increased referrals and conversions
- Deep familiarity with Social Media and Community Websites
- Sound understanding of user experience for the web